Context of research policy
The main S&T coordinating agency in Ukraine is the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine; it implements the state policy in the field of scientific, scientific-technological and innovation activities. On the basis of the State Agency on Science, Innovation and Informatization of Ukraine new institution was established - State Agency on e-Government.
The legal basis of the S&T policy in Ukraine is composed of the Constitution of Ukraine and the following Laws of Ukraine: “On Scientific and Scientific and Technological Activities” (adopted in 1991, the last amendments introduced in 2011); “On the Public Forecasting and Development of the Economic and Social Development Programmes of Ukraine” (adopted in 2000); “On Priorities of Science and Technology Development” (adopted in 2001, last amendments introduced in 2010); “On Scientific and Scientific & Technological Examination” (adopted in 1995, last amendments introduced in 2006); “On Scientific and Technological Information” (adopted in 1993, last amendments introduced in 2011); “On Legal Specifics of Functioning of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Field Academies of Sciences and Their Property Complex” (adopted in 2002, last amendments introduced in 2010); “On Innovation” (adopted in 2002, last amendments introduced in 2011); “On Scientific Parks” (adopted in 2009, last amendments introduced in 2010); “On the National Programme of Information” (adopted in 1998, last amendments introduced in 2010); “On State Regulation of Actions in the Technology Transfer Field” (adopted in 2006, last amendments introduced in 2011); “On Priorities in Innovation Activities in Ukraine” (adopted in 2011).
Research policy: objectives and priorities
The Law of Ukraine “On Priorities of Science and Technology Development” defines the following national priorities up to 2020:
- basic scientific research of the most important problems of scientific and technological, social and economic, political and human potential development to ensure Ukraine’s
competitiveness in the world and sustainable development of its society and state;
- information and communication technologies;
- energy and power efficiency;
- efficient nature management;
- life sciences, new technologies of prevention and treatment of the most wide-spread
- new substances and materials.
The S&T priorities are defined according to the National Target S&T and Innovation Development Forecast Programme of Ukraine. They are discussed by the scientific community and submitted by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine to Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine for correction. According to the a/m Law of Ukraine, on September 07, 2011, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine adopted a Resolution “On Approval of the List of Priority Thematic Directions of Scientific Research and Science and Technology Designs for the period up to 2015”.
The Law of Ukraine “On Priorities in Innovation Activities in Ukraine” defines the following strategic innovation priorities for the period 2011-2021:
- assimilation of new technologies of energy transportation, putting into operation of energy-efficient and resource-saving technologies, assimilation of alternative sources
- assimilation of new technologies of high technology development of the transportation system, rocket and space field, aircraft industry and shipbuilding, armament and
- assimilation of the new technologies of materials production, their processing and interconnection; creation of the nano-materials and nano-technologies industry;
- technological modernization and development of agro-industrial complex;
- introduction of new technologies and equipment for a quality medical service, treatment and pharmaceutics;
- wide use of technologies of cleaner manufacturing and environment protection;
- development of modern information and communication technologies and robotics.
National and bilateral S&T programmes
Below is the list of some national and state S&T (or S&T related) programmes of Ukraine:
- National Programme of Information (started in 1998; the end year is not specified);
- National Programme of SME Support in Ukraine (started in 1998; the end year is not specified);
- National Programme of Establishing of the National Ecology Network for 2000-2015;
- State Programme “Drinking Water of Ukraine” for 2006-2020;
- State Target Economic Programme of Power Efficiency for 2010-2015;
- State Target S&T Programme “Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials” for 2010-2014;
- State Target Ecological Programme On Developing Secure Conditions at the Uranium Objects of the Production Enterprise “Pre-Dnipro Chemical Plant” for 2010-2014;
- State Target Programme on Closing Production and Use of the Ozone Depleting Substances for 2004-2030;
- State Target Programme on Utilization of the Liquid Missile Fuel for 2010-2014;
- State Target Programme “Forests of Ukraine” for 2010-2015;
- State Target S&T Programme on Research in Antarctic for 2011-2020;
- State Complex Programme on High Scientific Technologies Development (started in 2004; the end year is not specified);
- State Target S&T Programme “Development and Implementation of Energy-Saving LED Light Sources and Lighting Systems” (started in 2008; the end year is not
- State Programme on Adaptation of Ukrainian Legislation to EU Legislation (started in 2004; the end year is not specified);
- State Programme on City Electro Transport Development for 2007-2015;
- State Programme to Combat Cancer up to 2016;
- State Programme “Reproductive Health of the Nation” up to 2015;
- State Target Programme on Railway Transport Reform for 2010-2015;
- State Target Economic Programme “Nuclear Fuel of Ukraine” (started in 2009; the end year is not specified).
Last update: February 2015